As your business evolves, roles on the Facebook business page change. You may need to add or change an administrator to a Facebook business page.
Only current admins of a Facebook page can delegate roles – they can set limited or unlimited capabilities.
There are five different page roles on Facebook business pages:
An admin can manage all aspects of the page, including sending messages and posting as the page, creating adverts, seeing which admin created a post or comment, viewing insights and assigning page roles.
A editor can edit the page, send messages and post as the page, create adverts, see which admin created a post or comment, and view insights.
A moderator can respond to and delete comments on the page, send messages as the page, see which admin created a post or comment, create adverts and view insights.
An advertiser can see which admin created a post or comment, create adverts and view insights.
An analyst can see which admin created a post or comment and view insights.
Fans of the page cannot to see who is in which role.
Adding roles on a Facebook page
Adding an additional person as an admin to a Facebook business page is an easy task.
Once you have added the new administrator be aware. The new admin can change or delete roles. This is one way to completely change the administrator of a page.
An ‘Editor’ or anyone with lesser capabilities can’t delete the admins.
Things to know before adding an administrator:
- An admin of a page can assign roles to Facebook users via their Facebook username or log-in email address. It is useful to know what the person’s profile picture is.
- The new role must be accepted through an invitation (seen below). Facebook will notify the user of their new post via a notification.
Click the Accept button to accept a page role invitation.
Adding a person as a Facebook administrator, desktop
The instructions here will help you to add an admin using a desktop computer. Scroll further to use the Facebook Pages Manager app on a mobile.
First, log into Facebook, then go to the Facebook page.
An admin of the page will see a ‘Tools’ menu on the left hand side of the page. The Page settings link is at the bottom of the menu.
Then click Page Roles on the left hand side.
Add an admin by typing their email address or Facebook username into the box labelled ‘Assign a new Page role’.
Facebook now allows you to assign a role to anyone with a Facebook account. They just have to accept the invitation, of course.
Choose a role from the menu to the right of the name field, then click Add.
You’ll be asked to enter a Facebook password to confirm the changes.
How to change admin on a Facebook page
To switch the admin on the Facebook page from one person to another the current admin needs to add an admin.
The new admin must accept the invitation to the role via a Facebook notification.
The new admin should then go to the Page settings (as above) and delete the obsolete admin.
Scroll to ‘Existing page roles‘. Assigned roles are listed here.
To remove a person from an existing role, click the Edit button that corresponds to their name. Hit Remove, then Confirm.
In the case that there is only one admin, you’ll not be able to delete them.
The current admin needs to add another admin first. There must always be at least one admin of a Facebook page.
Any of the other roles can be deleted freely.
Adding a person as a Facebook administrator, mobile
First, download Facebook’s Pages Manager app.
The Pages Manager app is a really useful tool, which lets you manage your page on your phone, although features are limited.
Within the Apple store or Google Play look for the flag icon shown above
Now you can manage the roles, using the app.
- Log in using the Facebook Pages Manager app.
- Navigate to the page you want to update. If you manage more than one page, hit the page avatar – the profile photo in a circle, top left. It’s next to the word Page.
- Once on the correct page, at the bottom of the screen is a grey navigation bar. You’ll see the ‘Facebook Pages Manager’ flag on the left, a graph icon for Insights, Inbox, Notifications, Appointments and at the very end Tools. It looks like a briefcase.
- Tap Settings, top of the list.
- Now tap Edit Page Roles.
- Tap Add Person to Page, at the top.
- You’ll be asked to re-enter your personal Facebook password.
- Type the name or email address of a Facebook user.
- Select them from the list. It’s useful to have an idea of what is on their profile photo.
- Once selected, you’ll see their profile photo and you can select which role you’d like them to take on. The selected role is highlighted with a blue tick.
- Tap Save at the bottom of the screen.
Adding a person as a Facebook administrator for mobile
I’ve added the steps in photos that will help to assign a person to a role. This is via the Facebook Page Manager mobile app.
Add a role through Facebook app
Roles can be added from the standard Facebook mobile app too.
- Tap the flag icon for ‘pages’ at the top of the screen.
- Choose the page.
- Click the …More button.
- Scroll down to Settings.
- Now click Page roles, and continue with the steps above.
This post should help you to add a Facebook admin or another other role to a page using both desktop and mobile devices. Facebook are rolling out updates for the desktop version, so I will keep you up to date.