As your business evolves, the roles on the Facebook business page change. You may need to add or change an administrator to a Facebook business page.
Only current admins of a Facebook page can delegate roles – they can set limited or unlimited capabilities.
There are five different page roles for Facebook business pages:
An admin can manage all aspects of the page, including sending messages and posting as the page, creating adverts, seeing which admin created a post or comment, viewing insights and assigning page roles.
An editor can edit the page, send messages and post as the page, create adverts, see which admin created a post or comment, and view insights.
A moderator can respond to and delete comments on the page, send messages as the page, see which admin created a post or comment, create adverts and view insights.
An advertiser can see which admin created a post or comment, create adverts and view insights.
An analyst can see which admin created a post or comment and view insights.
Fans of the page cannot to see who is in which role.
Adding roles on a Facebook page
Adding an additional person as an admin to a Facebook business page is an easy task.
Once you have added the new administrator be aware. The new admin can change or delete roles. This is one way to completely change the administrator of a page.
An ‘Editor’ or anyone with lesser capabilities can’t delete the admins.
Things to know before adding an administrator:
- Only an admin of a page can assign roles to Facebook users that LIKE the page.
- Usually, they are added via their Facebook username so it is useful to know what the person’s profile picture is.
- Sometimes the user will not appear in the ‘add list’ – try entering their login email address instead.
- The new role must be accepted through an invitation (seen below). Facebook will notify the user of their new post via a notification.
The invitee needs to click the Accept button to accept the page role.
Adding a person as a Facebook administrator, desktop
The instructions here will help you to add an admin using a desktop computer. Scroll further to use the Facebook Pages Manager app on a mobile.
First, log into Facebook, then go to the Facebook page.
An admin of the page will see a ‘Tools’ menu on the left hand side of the page. The Page settings link is at the bottom of the menu.
Then click Page Roles on the left hand side.
Add an admin by typing their email address or Facebook username into the box labelled ‘Assign a new Page role’.
Facebook now allows you to assign a role to anyone with a Facebook account. They just have to accept the invitation, of course.
Choose a role from the menu to the right of the name field, then click Add.
You’ll be asked to enter a Facebook password to confirm the changes.
How to change admin on a Facebook page
To switch the admin on the Facebook page from one person to another the current admin needs to add an admin.
The new admin must accept the invitation to the role via a Facebook notification.
The new admin should then go to the Page settings (as above) and delete the obsolete admin.
Scroll to ‘Existing page roles‘. Assigned roles are listed here.
To remove a person from an existing role, click the Edit button that corresponds to their name. Hit Remove, then Confirm.
In the case that there is only one admin, you’ll not be able to delete them.
The current admin needs to add another admin first. There must always be at least one admin of a Facebook page.
Any of the other roles can be deleted freely.
Add a person as a Facebook administrator via mobile app
Facebook’s mobile app is now much better for managing Facebook pages and you can manage Facebook page roles easily within the app.
You might find that your version of the app is slightly different from how I explain things but I’ve got two ways for you to try.
Find a Facebook page on the mobile app – method 1
Log in to Facebook on the phone app.
The new Facebook has a FLAG icon at the top of the screen. This is the symbol for PAGES. Tap that.
Tap the page avatar (profile photo) you’d like to edit. Scroll the page icons left to right to see all pages.
Method 1 is my preferred method – although I know some people haven’t got the FLAG icon at the top of their Facebook app. If you want it there then press and hold any icon in that top bar (except the house and the bell), then click manage shortcut settings.
An alternative way to find your Facebook pages:
Find a Facebook page on the mobile app – method 2
- Log in to Facebook on the phone app.
- Notice the 3 vertical lines representing a menu at the top right. Tap that.
- You might see an avatar (profile photo) for a frequently visited page at the top – tap that to go to it. If not, scroll down.
- Look for a box with an orange FLAG icon labelled Pages.
- Tap the page avatar you’d like to edit. Scroll the page icons left to right to see all pages.
Now add an administrator
- Notice the cog at the top right of the page and tap that.
- Now tap Page roles.
- Tap Add Person to Page, at the top.
- You’ll be asked to re-enter your personal Facebook password.
- Type the name or email address of a Facebook user.
- Select them from the list. It’s useful to have an idea of what is on their profile photo.
- Once selected, you’ll see their profile photo and you can select which role you’d like them to take on. The selected role is highlighted with a blue tick.
- Tap Save at the bottom of the screen.
Add an administrator via mobile in pictures
I’ve added the steps in photos that will help to assign a person to a role via the Facebook mobile app.
This post should help you to add a Facebook admin or another role to a page using both desktop and mobile devices. If you found it useful, let me know.