It is vital to add images to a website or blog – on every post or page if you can.
Search engines expect to see images because a web page should appeal to a human audience.
They understand that humans are visual.
And readers are more satisfied with the appearance of images.
So – search engines rank web pages higher when they see they are included.
Relevant ones, that is.
And let’s face it, without an image, a web page looks like a Word document – pretty boring.
So, whilst developing your website, routinely include images.
In this post, I help you to add single images to WordPress.
Add images for better search engine results
I wanted to add a quick side note because my main concern is that your website achieves good search engine results.
Remember that the way an image is resized, compressed, saved and positioned has an effect on how search engines rank a web page.
Take care and attention when adding images to a website or blog.
I recommend watching my video “Why resize images for the web”.
This is Kelly at Kaydee Web and I’ll show you how to add an image to a WordPress website
Let’s take a look on screen.
- We are using the WordPress block editor.
- You’ll need to hit the + PLUS icon to add an ‘image block’.
- You can find that up in the left-hand corner.
- Or, just hover over any block that is already used on the page.
- A PLUS icon appears below the block.
- Once you hit the PLUS sign, a menu pops up.
- Here are your options to add another block. Scroll or search for “image”.
- If you can’t already see ‘image’ in the ‘most used’ section, just search for ‘image’ in the field at the top.
- The new block will be placed below the PLUS symbol you selected. It can be easily moved using the UP/DOWN arrows to the left of a selected block.
- Hit the UPLOAD button to upload the image from your computer.
- The image will appear within the block.
- Any image you upload will show within the media library too.
Image alignment in WordPress
- When you click the image block you’ll see a toolbar, top left that enables you to align the image.
- An image can be aligned within its block using the toolbar.
- The toolbar appears top left when the image is selected.
- Use the icon – a box with two lines, one above, one below.
- Just hit the icon to find options to align the image left, right, centre, wide and full width.
- Within the WordPress editor, the image may not look aligned quite the way you imagined.
- Always check on the front end to see how it is positioned.
- Check it on a desktop computer and mobile devices to get it correct on both screen sizes.
I want to show you WordPress columns for image placement too.
We use columns in the WordPress block editor, to place an image next to another block on a big screen.
Think newspaper columns displayed next to one another.
This is how we would place an image next to a paragraph, for example.
On a small device, like a smartphone, columns will stack, one above another. Usually the left column will stack on top of the right column.
To create 2 columns:
- Hit the PLUS symbol to create a block.
- Now hit COLUMNS or search for COLUMNS.
- Choose the far left option, two columns, equal split.
- Hit the plus sign within each column to add an image, as above, to one column.
- Hit the plus sign within the next column to add a paragraph.
I hope that has helped you to add images to WordPress and to align them.
This is Kelly at Kaydee Web, thank you for joining me.